Saturday, May 3, 2014

Storm

Flash Fiction Piece

Storm

“Tori you have to control it.” Jake said as he put his hand on my shoulder and took a seat on the muddy ground next to me.

“I don’t want to.” I sobbed. “I want the world to feel my pain and anger.” I seethed.

Jake chuckled. “I think the world is definitely feeling your pain Tori, but if you’re not careful you are going to drown them.”

I sniffled and picked my head up. I took a look at the area around me. I was now sitting in what was probably five inches of water and the water in the bay was raging like it was going to leap up and swallow the city surrounding it.

“Let them drown.” I spit through clenched teeth. I didn’t really mean it though. I didn’t really want all the people of San Francisco to drown, nope, just one; Kirk.

“You don’t mean that. Look we all know that my brother Kirk is a major jerk, but don’t let all of San Francisco suffer because of it.” Jake said rubbing circles on my back.

I stopped my sniffling and looked at Jake. His vibrant blue eyes glowed back at me despite the gloom surrounding us, reminding me of the clearest ocean. I laughed despite the situation.

“What’s so funny?” He asked with his crooked grin.

“You that’s what. You look like a drowned rat.” I chuckled. But the truth was he looked perfect. His drenched sun kissed hair fell just right, accentuating his chiseled face while water droplets hung to his day old scruff like a drowning victim hangs to a life preserver. I had the sudden urge to catch one of those water droplets. I looked away before Jake could see my blush. Why couldn’t I have fallen for the good brother? I thought to myself.


Jake laughed loud, the sound resonating from deep in his chest. It was like music to my ears. “Oh, I’m the drowned rat am I? You’re one to talk, missy!” He joked splashing water at me.

He was probably right. No. He was right. I looked terrible. I hadn’t combed my hair in days, my face was probably all puffy from crying and who knows when the last time I showered. But at this exact moment I didn’t really care. I was tired of caring.

I scooped water up with my hand and threw it back at him, hitting him square in the face. He stopped laughing and looked at me.

“Oh it’s on now.” He warned with a mischievous smile. I was in trouble now and I knew it. I turned to crawl away from Jake before he could reap his revenge. When a wave of water crashed over me. I turned to look at Jake and almost ran into him he was so close. I leaned back on my elbows and laughed.

“Guess I deserved that.”

“Yea you kind of did, but you also deserve this.” Jake said with a wicked gleam in his eye.

I watched Jake intently afraid and nervous. His blues eyes raked over my body and lit me on fire. He crawled closer to me and melded his perfect lips to mine. He kissed me like I was the last girl on earth. Like I was his lost treasure. Like he always wanted to kiss me and like he would never stop.

Not to sound cliché, but he totally took my breath away.

Jake pulled away slightly out of breath and rested his forehead against mine.

“That is what you deserve Tori. Love and tenderness.” He whispered.


And like that the storm raging within me died as did the storm hammering San Francisco. I let my feelings of hate and anger go and looked to a brighter future. One where I did what was good for me. Where I was loved as much as I loved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment