Thursday, May 9, 2013

Review: Horror in Honduras by Benjamin Wallace


Horror in Honduras (The Bulletproof Adventures of Damian Stockwell)
*Cover and Synopsis from Goodreads

Synopsis
Raised from birth to be a force for justice, Damian Stockwell has forever trained to combat the evils of the world. Blessed with the physique of a demigod and one of the world’s foremost minds, he travels the globe on a quest to confront evil and punch it in the face. At his disposal is a vast fortune, an endless array of gadgets and loyal friends.

Now, one of those friends has gone missing in a Central American jungle and the only clue is the grotesque image of a demonic tribal mask. Dam and his trusted valet Bertrand rush headlong into danger and go face-to-face with evil incarnate to save their missing friend and attempt to destroy the Horror in Honduras.

Helpful Links: Goodreads | Amazon | Website

My Review:

Damian Stockwell is one of the richest men alive that also happens to be one of the most formidable minds and bodies in existence and one of his friends is in trouble; but before he can even make a plan to help, someone tries to kill him, using something that perplexes even Damian's genius mind. All he knows is that the strange device is the key to finding his missing friend and Damian will stop at nothing to help a friend in need.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I first picked up Horror in Honduras, but I was expecting humor as I have read other things by Benjamin Wallace and he never fails to deliver a laugh. And a laugh I got. Benjamin Wallace did not fail in delivering his usual humor and did a great job of bringing Damian Stockwell, the over the top, super genius to life.

I am a big fan of action and adventure in both my movies and books, these type of books are so easy to get lost in, as you imagine yourself as being one of the heroes in the tale. Though I am no super genius and no master fighter, I couldn't help but imagine myself in the tale of Damian Stockwell. Who wouldn't love to be a kick butt genius? I know I would.

Damian is one of those characters that despite being one of the richest men alive, a genius and force to be reckoned with, manages to stay a down-to-earth gentleman who is also a loyal and dedicated friend. In Horror in Honduras, Damian is fighting to save a friend who has gone missing in Central America, and he will put every resource he has attempting to save his life. Of course he get's the shock of a lifetime once he finds his friend and is forced to see things a little differently (I would tell you what that is, but then I would just give things away, and that wouldn't be fair). As you follow Damian in his adventure you also get to meet his loyal valet and sidekick Bertrand.

These two characters have a wonderful and natural relationship with each other, often times reminding me of brothers. They banter back and forth and the two of them are often found in the center of a great tale, fight, or humorous conversation.

There were times when I felt that the story was a little too over the top, but every time those thoughts crept into my mind Damian went into kick butt mode and my over the top thoughts fluttered away on wings of a bird. At first things seemed almost unbelievable, but as the tale unfolded I discovered as did Damian, that there was more to the story than met the eye. Damian is a bigger than life character, with bigger than life attributes, it is amazing that Benjamin Wallace managed to keep him contained in the book!

Horror in Honduras was a fun adventure that sweeps you away and delivers you to a world where anything is possible, especially if you are Damian Stockwell. If you are looking for that next great adventure tale or are a fan of Dirk Pitt, than you should definitely pick up Horror in Honduras and venture through the world of Damian Stockwell!


"he had proven conclusively that uppityness could be cured through a large dose of throttling. He always enjoyed the applied sciences" (Kindle, loc. 1014).

The reason I chose this moment was because it does a great job showing a little bit of humor that Damian often displays.



No comments:

Post a Comment