Sunday, December 9, 2012

Where Have All the Bad Girls Gone???

This past week I had to come up with a book character that I wanted to be. One that I felt I connected to and one that represented a small part of myself. Wanting to keep it true to my gender I knew that I had to pick a female character and not just any character. She had to be strong willed, trustworthy, loyal, caring, passionate and a real bad-a**!

Once I knew what I wanted I sat down and thought back through all the hundred's of books that I have read and tried to identify the female characters that fit this description and I was sad when I discovered that the list was way too short.

So, that brings me to my discussion topic this week.....Where have all the bad-a** girls gone?

I don't know about you but in most books that I have read the female character is often depicted as needy, dependent, love struck, sometimes clueless, and defenseless. And if she is a bad-a** then she is also a mega B! Why can't girl characters be as bad as their male counterparts? This is probably one reason I connect better with male characters.

I can honestly say that these questions kept me up way into the early morning hours yesterday. I just couldn't get it out of my head. So I present the topic to you, fellow book lovers.

What do you think of how female characters are depicted in books? Have you read any books that have these bad-a** girls? If so, I definitely need to hear about it because I am always willing to read about a fellow bad-a** female!

"Devouring worlds, one book and recipe at a time."

No comments:

Post a Comment