Friday, December 21, 2012

Eggnog Cupcakes with Eggnog Chocolate Ganache



It seems that lately I have had this obsession with cupcakes. I am constantly thinking of flavors I can use to make new and different cupcakes. Recently I made Mountain Dew cupcakes, which I have to say are awesome. I have made them a few times since and am now thinking of other things I can do with those cupcakes to enhance the Mountain Dew flavor.

Besides Mountain Dew cupcakes, recently I took my favorite Christmas beverage a created what I call Christmas cupcakes at their finest. I originally made them for my church Christmas party, and it took me all day to figure out what kind of topping to use on them. The cupcakes by themselves are outstanding, perfectly sweet, and exceptionally moist, they don’t even need frosting, but I didn’t want people to think they were cornbread muffins. Because that is what they look like without any frosting.
Recently I put eggnog in a chocolate cake and loved it so for these cupcakes I decided to make an eggnog chocolate ganache. 

And this is what it looks like…….

What’s even better about this recipe besides the great taste is the simplicity.

Cupcakes
1 Pillsbury Classic Yellow Cake Mix
¼ Cup Flour

To make cupcakes follow directions on the box, only substitute Eggnog for water. I also like to add ¼ cup of flour. This is recommended on the box for high altitude. But it also recommends that you increase the liquid, I don’t. By doing this the cupcakes won’t crumble while eating them. Note: the batter will be thick. Now to fill the cupcake liners, I like to use a ¼ cup measuring cup and fill the liners half way. Normally I fill them more, but there is something about the eggnog that makes these cupcakes explode volcano like if the liners are overfilled. Bake about 12 minutes until cupcakes spring back when touched or when a toothpick comes out clean. They will brown so don’t freak out and think you burned them. Once they are done take them out of the cupcake pan and allow them to cool on a cooling rack.

Eggnog Chocolate Ganache
1 Cup Eggnog
¾ Cup Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
Pinch of Nutmeg

In a medium saucepan place chocolate, eggnog and nutmeg and warm over medium heat. This is a fast process so make sure you don’t leave once you have started. With a whisk stir until the chocolate has completely melted and is incorporated with the eggnog. Take the ganache off the heat and allow it to cool.

Once the ganache and cupcakes have cooled dip the tops of the cupcakes in the ganache and set aside. Now normally I don’t recommend putting cupcakes in the fridge, but for these I actually do. Not only does it allow the ganache to set up, but they just taste good cold!






No comments:

Post a Comment