Sunday, November 18, 2012

Reading Challenge: Will I Reach My Goal?

Of course you all know that I love to read by now, if you don't, well then let me tell you. I love to read :) Also if you haven't noticed I like to call myself the devourer of books. No I don't call myself that just because I like to read, that is part of it, but the real reason I call myself the devourer is because I can finish a book of about 300 pages in about 4 hours. Of course that is if I can set aside a solid block of time. Which if you have kids you know is no small feat, but I am proud to say that it is one that I manage to do frequently. I'm not saying that I avoid my children, because I don't. What I am saying is that I make time to read, and normally this time comes after my children are already asleep. So naturally that means less sleep for me, but that is how I keep my sanity, plus it works for me. I recently discovered I don't really need that much sleep anyway.

I know I know, how is all this related to my reading challenge? I promise I am getting to that. Its just that sometimes I ramble. Okay, so a lot of times I ramble, but I promise there really is a point to all this! So, being a devourer and all I can honestly say that I have read well over 100 books this year. But when I joined Goodreads back in June of this year I decided that it would be fun to set a small reading challenge for myself. To read 100 books before the end of the year.

When I first set this goal I actually thought for a moment that it was going to be too easy. I knew that I could read 100 books over a period of 6 months. I know cocky right?! Well I was because I knew that I could read a book a day if my family allowed me to, but of course life has shown me what happens when you get cocky......you get knocked down a peg or two.

Back in June my life was rather slow, well for me. It was the summer and I only had to be a mom of 5 and a wife. No work, no school, nice and simple. And I relished in it. That may play some small role in my decision to set the goal that I did. I was bored. You see my life is usually very hectic and I thrive in chaos. And since I love a challenge, those who know me can testify to that :) I thought why not? But then school started and I had to be a mom, wife and full-time Graduate student. And then I decided to start this fabulous little blog.

And that is where the problem began. You see I can handle being a mom, wife and full-time student while devouring books. But when I got serious about this little blog of mine, well a lot of my reading got put on the back burner, often taking a back seat to, you guessed it, my blog! If you haven't noticed already my blog is more than a book blog. It is also a food blog. And as of right now all the recipes that are on the blog are my own. Although I don't think it will always be that way, but it is for now, and I like it that way. Anyway, now most of my time is spent obsessing and creating for my blog. What can I do to make it better, what can I do to make it stand out, is anyone reading my blog, does anyone care? You get the point!

Obviously with this new obsession my reading sometimes take a back seat and that leads me to my current challenge. Will I be able to reach my reading goal? With only 44 days left in the year and 29 books to go? I know I can if I don't obsess about my blog so much and if I can get my brain off food for more than a minute.

So, do you think I will be able to reach my goal? Do you have a reading goal that you are trying to accomplish? Let me know I would love to hear from you!

"Devouring worlds one book and recipe at a time."

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
Danielle has read 71 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

No comments:

Post a Comment