Monday, October 8, 2012

Harvest Pancakes

I am not a huge fan of pancakes, so when it comes to making pancakes in my house I usually leave that chore to my husband. However, occasionally my excitement to experiment gets the better of me, like last night, and a wonderful creation is born. And that is exactly what happened last night. I didn't feel like cooking and I knew the best way to get out of doing it would be to suggest we have pancakes. Naturally my husband  knew that meant it was his turn to cook dinner. Don't you just love how women manipulate things to their advantage?!

I know I am totally devious! But as soon I made the suggestion to my husband I was struck with the inspiration of taking my pecan caramel sauce from my caramel sticky buns and using them in a pancake. Now this pecan caramel sauce is not originally my own, it came from a recipe in a magazine, but I do not recall the exact amounts required in their recipe only the ingredients. So, I had to recreate it, and let me just say that I had success. The proof's in the picture.

Well, the proof is in the taste too, but you can't taste it here. So you will just have to take my word for it. But really you must try it!

I filled up a gallon size Ziploc bag, using it like a piping bag, and cut a very small portion of one of the corners. I used this to pipe the sauce onto the pancakes once they were in the pan. See picture below.



Now, not liking pancakes like I do I decided that I needed to make these a little more special. So I decided to make a dark apple pie filling to use in place of syrup. In order to make a dark apple pie filling I just used more cinnamon and nutmeg than usual. If you don't like the flavor than I suggest cutting the amounts by half.

When it comes to making the apple pie filling use whatever apples you prefer to use when making apple pie. I prefer apples that are naturally sweet, like Gala or Jonagold. I personally don't like the bitter taste of green apples and the bland taste of red delicious apples. But of course use what you prefer.

Once I chopped the apples I placed them in a sauce pan on medium heat, along with cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, vanilla and brown sugar and cooked them just until tender. There is nothing I like more than the smell of apples and cinnamon, that is probably why I always buy that scent in candles. Anyway, that is neither here or there. But that aroma is exactly why I decided to call these harvest pancakes, because that is what they reminded me of, fall harvest.

And there is nothing I like more on a crisp fall day than curling up on the couch with the warm spices of apple pie. 

Once the apples are done, place them on top of the pancake and eat! No syrup or butter required. Trust me syrup would just ruin it. 

Harvest Pancakes
Yield: 8-10 pancakes

For the pancakes just use whatever pancake batter you desire and make according to directions.

Pecan Caramel
1/2 Cup pecan chips
1/2 Cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 Cup light corn syrup
1/2 Cup butter melted

In a medium bowl combine pecan chips, corn syrup and brown sugar, then stir in melted butter until everything is combined. Place in piping bag and set aside.

Heat skillet over medium heat, spray pan lightly with cooking spray. Then pour batter into desired size of pancakes. Once pancakes have cooked for about 10-15 seconds pipe pecan caramel around the pancake. Then cook like normal.

Dark Apple Pie Topping
2 Apples chopped (I used Gala)
1 Tbsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 Tbsp. vanilla
1/2 Cup firmly packed brown sugar

Place all ingredients in sauce pan over medium heat and cook until apples are tender. Set aside until pancakes are done, then place a pile in the center of the pancake.

Stuff your face and enjoy the feeling of fall :))


No comments:

Post a Comment